Traveling to the west coast this summer? We have just the spot for you. The ArtWalk @ Liberty Station returns to San Diego August 11th-12th and it’s a delightful opportunity to experience local art. During the weekend, visitors can experience Ingram Plaza to enjoy cultural expression, thousands of works of art, food, wine and beer, live entertainment, and interactive art projects. The artwork is from 200 international, national, and local San Diego artists and will surround Ingram Plaza’s rose garden. Beautiful!
1. We’d love to hear some history/background about the ArtWalk. How did it get started? Why is it a great thing to check out if you’re visiting San Diego?
We also operate San Diego’s longest-running and largest festival, the Mission Federal ArtWalk, in April in Little Italy. The festival we’re talking about today, known as ArtWalk @ Liberty Station, was introduced in 2006 as a response to many requests we were getting from artists to create a second event. The event has been at Liberty Station’s amazing Arts District for the past several years, and the venue is spectacular. The art surrounds a rose garden; the artwork is displayed in a beautiful park. There is abundant parking, and lots of terrific restaurants. The free public event is now in its 13th year.
2. Tell us why the Arts District at Liberty Station is such a supportive and lovely place to host the ArtWalk?
The Arts District boasts San Diego’s largest collection of arts and culture groups outside of Balboa Park, with museums, performing arts spaces, galleries, and working artist studios. The location is an ideal backdrop for our celebration of art of all kinds, both visual and performing arts, in the beautiful setting of Ingram Plaza. The NTC Foundation team is greatly supportive and helpful.
3. So, we’re curious about the ArtWalk’s “community-wide” installation. Fill us in on that!
Each year we offer various interactive art activities where the attendees become “part of the art”. We are cooking up some fun new things for 2018.
4. It’s so cool the ArtWalk is supporting ArtReach San Diego, a nonprofit that offers free art programming at K-6 schools in San Diego County. Tell us more!
ArtReach helps to fill a void in K-6 education; art education is essential to help kids learn to develop critical problem solving skills and creativity. We are extremely proud of our collaboration with ArtReach and we showcase their good work at all of our events. In fact, the proceeds from our wine and beer sales help to support ArtReach, and many of our participating artists support ArtReach by donating a portion of their sales to the nonprofit organization.
5. The ArtWalk has been around for 13 years now (which is so awesome). Can you describe all 13 years of the experience in three words?
Inspiration. Partnerships. Joy.
Brittany is the content and communications Marketing Manager for Sun Country Airlines. Her favorite things about Sun Country are the close-knit family vibe and the passion behind the people, as if the employees and customers grew up loving the “airline next door.” Her favorite destination? The whimsical forests and rain of Seattle’s coast.